Version 2 Rig minor tip

• Name of Control (Download Title)
    Any
    Version Number
    V2

Owing to a dirth of long black allen head bolts for more than one arm lock, I tried the offset version with shorter bolts but found it to be unsatisfactory with insufficient thread penetration into the PLA to tighten securely.

I recalled from the original V2 rig Youtube video, a boltless armlock design, which I eventually located in the chassis lever download, so I printed one to try.

Found that it worked pretty well but had one or two mm of side to side play in the arm, not enough to affect proper use of the controls in VR, but enough to annoy the nit picking side of my nature.

Set about redesigning the profile of the curve which fits around the monitor post with a view to reprinting a tighter version, then as a test, cut a 30mm strip from one of the chassis lever felt printed templates, the full 50mm width, which I placed as a shim between the monitor post and the arm lock.

It fitted exactly, took out all of the play, worked perfectly and was considerably quicker and easier to install than the bolt-on version.

I can thoroughly recommend the boltless design when used in conjunction with a repurposed printed template as a shim.

100% rock solid, simple and easy.

I never did need to print a redesigned lock, and some of what would have been junked found a new use.

PPL at Goodwood '72, no longer current. Missed out on flying the Grace Spitfire in '88 when the owner died in a motor accident shortly beforehand. Decided last Xmas to divert the money from a planned 20 minute "Spitfire experience" into a new high spec VR PC, and inspired by Phil, a virtual IXc

• PPL at Goodwood '72, no longer current. Missed out on flying the Grace Spitfire in '88 when the owner died in a motor accident shortly beforehand. Decided last Xmas to divert the money from a planned 20 minute "Spitfire experience" into a new high spec VR PC, and inspired by Phil, a virtual IXc

• PPL at Goodwood '72, no longer current. Missed out on flying the Grace Spitfire in '88 when the owner died in a motor accident shortly beforehand. Decided last Xmas to divert the money from a planned 20 minute "Spitfire experience" into a new high spec VR PC, and inspired by Phil, a virtual IXc

• All three arms (on two stands) are rock solid, but the boltless design is a breeze to fit in comparison to the four screw, two tool version. (or three tools if you include pliers or spanner for a retaining nut on the M4 PH screws)

The shim makes the boltless version perfectly tight, completely eliminating the slight movement in the joint before insertion.

Initially the shim was just a test to judge by how much I'd need to modify the arm lock before reprinting it, but worked so perfectly that it made the redesign unnecessary.

PPL at Goodwood '72, no longer current. Missed out on flying the Grace Spitfire in '88 when the owner died in a motor accident shortly beforehand. Decided last Xmas to divert the money from a planned 20 minute "Spitfire experience" into a new high spec VR PC, and inspired by Phil, a virtual IXc

Edited once, last by Harepath ().

• True. it was tight on one of the two arms, but not the other.

Still no match for the 6" leverage of the allen key that came with the monitor stand, provided that you position the key sensibly.

(Or take the joint off the stand, put it on the floor with the allen key raising it slightly, then stand on it, perhaps)

I must admit it didn't concern me unduly because I've accumulated a wealth of tools over my lifetime and can always find a way round any sticking point eventually, not that this took as long as tightening the 4 bolts/screws on the 3rd arm anyway. That left me with an aching wrist where the PLA gripped the threads so well !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!